The successful candidate will be responsible for managing the build and deployment of the project, through all environments. They will contribute to key components and shared common services, undertake cross-functional engineering projects, working in small teams with other engineers in different knowledge spheres, building supportable, sustainable and reliable services.
About the work
The specialist will be part of Public Protection Directorate Project team working closely with the Technical Lead. We expect the specialist to work collaboratively with existing in house project teams that are transforming the HMPO business processes/applications.
You will be required to
- Build a Dev environment, configure infrastructure so system engineer skills required.
- System provisioning & automation, monitoring, metrics, scalability, security and hardening.
- Overall responsibility for the projects Linux infrastructure in relation to common standards.
- Responsible for the health and upkeep of the critical services.
- Active on remediating any knowledge gaps between Developers and Operations Engineers.
- Automation of Linux, providing frictionless access to services to the rest of the Engineering organisation.
- Working alongside other engineers, providing the code, services and knowledge to deliver a smooth automation process from the start to the end of the project lifecycle.
- Working within security architecture guidelines.
To apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Essential skills and experience
- Knowledge and experience of installation and management of hardware (servers, storage, routers etc.)
- Knowledge of and experience with Docker, Postgres, and installation and management of the CoreOS
- Knowledge of and experience with Git, Github, Gitlab
- Knowledge of and experience with nginx, HAProxy, Unicorn
- Reasonable fluency in at least one of: python, go, BASH
- Knowledge of HIDS, NIDS and security hardening
- Deep knowledge of GNU/Linux
- Experience of IP Networking and physical networks
- Experience of designing and building the infrastructure in a data centre.
Nice-to-have skills and experience
- Experience deploying, profiling, and debugging distributed systems
- Ability to operate in small cross-functional engineering teams to build supportable, sustainable, and reliable services
- Solid understanding of CI and build engineering
- Understanding of cloud concepts
- Fluent in English and have good communication skills in order to discuss high level requirements with stakeholders, as well as have low level technical discussions as required.
- Knowledge of configuration management tools (Puppet/Ansible)
- SkyDNS / Bi
- Ceph / Glusterfs
- CoreOS: Fleet / Etcd / Flannel / RKT
- SysDig / Graphite / Prometheus
- Ruby, Go
- SQL / NO-SQL DB’s
- Have existing, valid DV
- io / Artifactory
- Experience of configuring and managing ELK